The Low Down on Soy
In the 80’s we got a Tofu cookbook and for awhile there, we were making everything from tofu scramble to mint chocolate tofu pie. That pie was a total disaster by the way! What can I say? We live in Berkeley….it was the hip thing to do back then and we thought we were making a healthy choice and saving the planet while we were at it. The real story is that we’ve been conned into thinking that soy beans are a health food. Is it any coincidence that soy is one of the U.S.’s largest crops and one of the cheapest to produce? Here are the reasons why you should stay far away from soy:
- Soybeans contain phytates which block mineral absorption. The more tofu you eat, the more you’ll end up stripping your body of minerals.
- Soybeans contain trypsin inhibitors. Trypsin is the enzyme you need to break down and absorb protein. So much for tofu being a good protein source. If anything, your inability to digest soy protein will cause a great deal of gas and bloating.
- Soy eaten in large quantities can slow your thyroid function, which will make you sluggish and weight loss next to impossible. This is especially true if you’re low in iodine. If you’re eating baked goods and drinking fluoridated water, chances are that you’re low in iodine. Bromide in flour and fluoride can block iodine absorption.
- Most of the soy grown in the U.S. is genetically modified by the Monsanto corporation (creator of Agent Orange amongst other atrocities) to be Round-Up ready. This enables farmers to spray Round-Up poison all over the crops, killing everything but the soybeans. Is it any wonder more and more people are allergic to soy? The genetic make-up has been tampered with, probably making it even harder for the body to recognize Genetically Modified (GM) soy as a food.
- The phyto-estrogens (plant based estrogen) in soy upset the delicate balance of our own hormones. Some will argue that these phyto-estrogens are breast cancer protective. From reading numerous contradictory studies, I feel that the risk outweighs the benefits. One thing is for sure, using soy based infant formula is hugely problematic. Boys can end up with low testosterone and girls are pushed into puberty at a much earlier age.
- The process of making soy protein isolate (the form of soy found in most “health food” bars and shakes) creates several carcinogens including nitrosamines formed during high temperature spray drying.